- Help solve skills shortages, develop strategies to attract young people into mining industry.
- Understand perceptions of the mining industry/METS sector and determine how to position as a desirable career option.
- Better understand the drivers of career choice & the decision-making process of students.
CAMPAIGN PERIOD: Three months
First phase: 15-minute online survey among a representative sample of 1,000 students aged 14 – 29 across Australia using the Student Edge Youth Panel. The survey was aimed at testing existing hypotheses and establishing quantifiable benchmarks around student awareness and perceptions of the industry.
Second phase: YouthInsight conducted four 90-minute focus groups among a mix of students from years 10, 11, 12 and first-year university across key locations in VIC and NSW. The qualitative stage focused on informing the communications strategy used by the industry to engage with students.
- Presentation to industry at MCA Minerals Industry Education Summit:
- Biggest misconceptions about the careers in the industry.
- Student reactions to existing material used to promote the mining/METS industries.
- Feedback on how to improve these materials to better connect with young Australians.
- Recommendations for future industry marketing campaigns.